Accessibility Skip to content
Article ID: 000024816
Last Modified Date: 08/19/2022
Access Level: Public
Computer Headsets: How to Set the Headset as the Default Audio Device
How do I make the my headset the default audio device for my computer?
- In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, and then select Control Panel.
- Click Hardware and Sound.
- Under the Sound tab, click Manage Audio Devices.
- On the Playback tab, click your headset, and then click the Set Default button.
- On the Recording tab, click your headset, and then click the Set Default button.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Open the System Preferences.
- Click the Sound icon.
- Click the Input tab, and then click your headset.
- Click the Output tab, and then click your headset.
- You may need to close re-open your audio program in order for the changes to take effect.
- In some cases, the headset is not identified by name in the list of devices. For example, you may see Poly USB Headset instead of the headset model name. Sometimes the headset is listed as a generic audio device, such as Generic USB Device or USB Audio Device.
- If you do not hear audio in your headset while you are in your media or other application, you may need to make the headset the default audio device within that application. Refer to user documentation for that application for specific instructions.