Poly is aware of persistent cyber threats targeting unified communications devices that have been deployed in an insecure manor where manufacturer provided default passwords or PINs have not been changed.
- Cyber actors are scanning the internet for devices that are deployed, using default passwords and PINs. The malicious actors are attempting to gain unauthorized access to these devices to retrieve device and customer specific configuration information. This information may then be used to: Gain intelligence related to the network configuration of the environment where the device is deployed; and,
- Placing fraudulent international phone calls; or,
- Identify devices that are running outdated firmware that may contain vulnerabilities, allowing the cyber actor to leverage targeted attacks against the vulnerable device.
Last Update: 3/7/2022
Initial Public Release: 1/18/2019
Advisory ID: PLYGN19-01
Customers are encouraged to follow recommended best security practices:
- Ensure that all default passwords have been changed; and,
- Monitor and review logs to identify unusual activity, including failed login attempts; and,
- Regularly patch and update systems and device firmware, these updates may include fixes that address vulnerabilities; and,
- Disable unnecessary or unused services; and,
- Configure firewalls and other network protection services to block traffic from unauthorized IP addresses; and,
- Periodically change passwords and use a strong password; and,
- Follow manufacture recommended best practices for a secure deployment.
There is no workaround.
©2022 Plantronics, Inc. All rights reserved.
Poly, the propeller design, and the Poly logo are trademarks of Plantronics, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. No portion hereof may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, for any purpose other than the recipient's personal use, without the express written permission of Poly.
While Poly uses reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information in this document, Poly makes no warranties or representations as to its accuracy. Poly assumes no liability or responsibility for any typographical errors, out of date information, or any errors or omissions in the content of this document. Poly reserves the right to change or update this document at any time. Individuals are solely responsible for verifying that they have and are using the most recent Technical Bulletin.
Limitation of Liability
Poly and/or its respective suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in this document for any purpose. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind and is subject to change without notice. The entire risk arising out of its use remains with the recipient. In no event shall Poly and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any direct, consequential, incidental, special, punitive, or other damages whatsoever (including without limitation, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption, or loss of business information), even if Poly has been advised of the possibility of such damages.